Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Another Monday



I decided to make some cupckaes, becuase it seems like that is what fun Moms do. I added my own little twist with the jelly beans. I am just getting so excited about Spring flowers because for the first time I planted my own tulip bulbs and they are starting to come up! We had some at our last house but they were put in by the previous owners. So, Monday nights at our house are always super busy trying to get homework, piano, and FHE done before bedtime. We added complication this week because we promised Spencer another video game rental on Monday to help him be motivated during the week for school. You should see this motivator in action for him, it works like a dream! If he does his work at school, does his homework, and piano practicing he can play for a little bit before bed. He was being slow yesterday about his homework and practicing so as the night went on we told him he would not be able to go get his game because we stilll needed to have Family Home Evening. You should have seen Sam and Spencer followed quickly by Matthew run into place and sit patiently on the couch waiting for the lesson. That NEVER happens at our house. There is usually so much crying, complaining, and jumping that you can't hear a word of the lesson. They sait quietly on the couch and listened and then answered all of Jeremy's questions aout the Plan of Salvation. Wow, it was amazing! Then we all headed off to the video game store/bookstore to get another Spiderman for the Wii. After they got their game Spencer wanted to look at some books. I immediately got into Mom mode and said no, we have to go,keep everyody moving toward the car. Jeremy quickly jumped in and reminded me that it IS a good thing if he wants to go look at some books. Oh yeah, enjoy the moment. Ok, the boys spent about half hour looking at lots of books, mostly transformers and spiderman.

1 comment:

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

So also something I'm learning with my class: external motivators are like butter. I promised the kids a party a couple of weeks ago, they got it and they're still behaving. I love it.
Also, it sounds like you're doing so well. I'm particularly stoked you're taking cooking classes (like to learn to cook for real? Wicked!), mostly because I have not eaten any real thing in recent memory. (break-up, finals week.) Have a good day!