Sunday, June 22, 2008

I'm Thirty, you got that?


I LOVE being 30. I can finally tell people, I am thirty and I have 3 kids so don't even mess, ok? You might be surprised how often I have to say this in my head because I get comments like these two examples all the time. This first one happened a couple of months ago at my son's 7th birthday party. A Mom from the neighborhood was dropping off her son for the party. I had never met her before because the kid was a friend from his school class. I made sure to meet her at the door so she could feel a little more comfortable dropping her son off at a stranger's house. I don't think I gave her that impression, and this is why. Halfway into the conversation I mentioned how much I enjoyed working with her son in class when I volunteered. She then looked at me in shock, and said are you Spencer's mom? I thought you were his sister and I was waiting for your mom to come to the door. Hmmm, akward.... Next, a couple of years ago I went to visit a lady in our neighborhood in Utah. I think I was taking her an invitation for a church party. She was not active in our ward at the time, and I had never met her before. They sent me over because we were about the same age with kids the same age. I walked over with my kids in the stroller, and parked them on the driveway while I went up to the door. She answered the door, and I introduced myself and told her why I was there. We made some small talk, and then one of her kids came to the door and did something funny. I commented how that is just like my son. She looked at me in shock and said, you are a mom? I thought you were selling cookies or something for school. What.... awkward. This happens to me ALL the time. Its not just that people think I look a couple years younger than my age, they think I am in high school! What is up with that? I know my sisters have the same problem, so maybe it is in the genes. I guess I should be flattered, but really I am over it already. I have earned my 30 years!

11 comments:

janellelee said...

sexy picture! really, high school? i wish i had that problem. maybe you should start exposing your elastic waist band pants a little more often.

BrianJ said...

Well, count your blessings: your "high school look" is probably much of what attracted Jeremy to you (in college!).

(Sorry, that might require some explanation, which I will leave to Jeremy.)

Me - Jen said...

I have always wanted to ask what your skin care routine was? Oh and that pics is quite sassy of you!!

Karen said...

You are beautiful! I love seeing pics of the blog writer. Your earrings are cute.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

I earn my 30 next week, but I totally have the same problem. I guess we should be grateful. Maybe we will appreciate it more when we are 50, but it sure sucked when I was 20. You look great in that picture.

Stacey said...

Last night, Sally and I asked this guy which of us was older, and he guessed Sally. Um I'm nine years older! But to his benefit, he thought maybe we were asking him a trick question.

Anonymous said...

Hey Baby,
What's a nice girl like you doing on a website like this? Do your parents know what you are doing online?

MollyE said...

Ewwww, my husband is creepy!!! Thanks a lot Brian, I blame you for this comment.

WendyJ said...

I think you just need to have another baby. That will age you in no time. Then you will hear about a thousand times a day, "she sure has her hands full." Can't tell you how tired I am of hearing that.

Emily S. said...

Great picture! I know exactly what you mean - I was thrilled to finally turn 30! In California I was constantly thought of as the nanny of my 3 kids. I guess someday it will pay off to look young.

Jonah said...

I TOTALLY think you look like you're 50!

I was so excited to turn 30...I thought people would then take me seriously. They still don't and I'm almost 35.

Jared gets carded at the church dances all the time when he's chaperoning...they think he's one of the kids.