Monday, June 30, 2008

Food Storage Items of the Week

Has anybody else been stressing about food storage lately? Of course you have!!! I mean, just turn on the news and you will run to the store as fast as you can. Since we moved a year ago our food storage was VERY depleted. Spencer's kindergarten class loved me last year because I donated 6 months worth of can goods to his food drive. Was that the best plan? Maybe not. I probably should have just boxed it up for this house. Oh well. So, the last couple of months we have been working to build it up again. We did a couple of big Costco trips, but the bottom line is we are going to have to build it up slowly. So, I have been focusing on buying a couple of food storage items each week at the grocery store. Maybe I will share my ideas with you, and you can share yours. Or maybe I won't if you think this is a dumb post. We'll see... I bought a couple of each of these items this week.

6 comments:

BrianJ said...

I love, love, love this idea. Wendy and I struggle like crazy with food storage because we just can't figure out how to store the majority of what we normally eat. For example, how to get a year supply of lettuce, apples, spinach, and bananas?!

Me - Jen said...

Oh you are good. We just make sure we always have enough ammo for our gun and gas for our chain saw.

MollyE said...

Brian I have the perfect solution for you. Baby food will provide you with all of these items, and it stores well! Also Jen, ha ha ha, and I don't think I should tell you what I am storing anymore.

Jeremy said...

See, now we need to get a gun, too! For Ben and Jen!

Rachel said...

I have been dragging my feet on this one, but I am finally giving it some (a little tiny bit of)attention. One website I really like is http://www.fema.gov/plan/prepare/basickit.shtm because it has a list of the true disaster supplies. Plus I love the Cannery: you can buy big cans of rice, oatmeal, flour and sugar. And I ONLY store stuff we will actually rotate into our actual pantry, because otherwise it seems like such a waste! No wheat for me, thank you.

Jenn S. said...

Good post!

I am slowly, very slowly gaining my testimony of food storage - I would blog about it, but it's a topic that can get controversial. Now that Marc is a High Priest and in charge of our ward's provident living, I've sort of hard to start . . .

I'm doing the same as you, slowly buying "extra" of the stuff that we already eat. And trying to get a solid three months supply to rotate. I love the idea of knowing what other people use for their storage. We don't eat much that can be stored for long and so I'm always buying pasta, more pasta and more pasta. Sigh, I need your inspiration!