Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ice Cream

I am an ice cream addict. I love the stuff, can never get enough. Ever. These are just two examples of some of my favorites. I choose what ice cream flavor I want based on the brand or the ice cream place. My motto with any food place is to go with what they do best. Here are some of my favorites.

Baskin Robbins - I have to list this one first because it is probably my all time favorite. I go crazy over the chocolate chip ice cream here. I never get any other flavor, because I just can't turn down an opportunity to get my favorite.

Cold Stone- Ok, I do change it up here because depending on my mood sometimes super chocolaty, and sometimes not. What can I say, everything is good here. Also, I have to give a serious honorable mention to the blue cotton candy ice cream. My kids always get it, and they have to pry it away. It really tastes like cotton candy, but creamier. Yum.

Ben & Jerry's - Jeremy and I planned an entire trip to Vermont to go visit their factory. We stopped in Sharon, Vermont, the birthplace of Joseph Smith on the way there. We didn't know it was on the way, but later we told people that was the reason we took the trip. We are ashamed. Anyway, New York Super Fudge Chunk the best flavor ever. We got this on our first date we had in Boston. It always brings back good memories, of when we were skinny, before we got addicted to Ben and Jerry's. Hmmm, those were the days.

Breyers - This is just great ice cream. Our favorite flavor is the Rocky Road. The nuts in there are amazing, and there are no big marshmallow chunks, just the hint of marshmallow. Amazing.

Tillamook - Loved the Brown Cow, then they changed it to something with udderly in the name. I don't know, it doesn't quite taste the same anymore. Still, very good.

Dreyer's - I love their mint chocolate chip. Mint can be a really tricky flavor, you don't want it too minty, and not too big of chocolate chunks. I think they get it just right.

I can't even remember all of the names of the little ice cream shops we have eaten at. Boston had some seriously good homemade ice cream. Christinas anyone? Also, some farm out in the middle of nowhere that served the biggest portions ever. It wasn't possible to eat it all before it melted in the humidity, but it was sure fun to try.

7 comments:

Me - Jen said...

Have you tried Maggie Moo's cake batter and brownie?? SO GOOD!!

Karen said...

It's so weird that I'm just not an icecream girl. I appreciate your passion for it but I just can't agree. chocolaty brownies are the way to go along with warm cookies. Yumm!!!!

Lewis Family said...

Molly, I love this post because it reminded me of the time you were sooooo darn sick pregnant with Sam...and all you wanted was some mint chocolate chip ice cream. So I ran to the store to get it...but if I remember correctly it only made matters worse. I'm totally with you...ice cream is my secret obsession! LOL, Dixie

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

I loved your pig story. It totally cracked me up. As for ice cream - thanks a lot. Now I want some.

janellelee said...

i am all about the bryers rocky road!!! can i take a bath in it?

Jenn S. said...

OOh I remember a really yummy home made ice cream shop on Newberry Street in Boston - I remember they had a cake batter flavor that I had never heard of or tried before yum.

You *must* come to Texas and try some Bluebell ice cream - so stinkin good!

BrianJ said...

Molly, I am glad that you enjoy Breyers because they have "double churned" ice cream. (Not to be confused with Dreyer's "slow churned"---could these two companies try any harder to sound the same?!) When I first heard about it I thought it was a gimmick, but it really is quite creamy.

Now for an ice cream suggestion: Graeter's. Their ice cream is good---like all those you list---but their real strength is in the chocolate chunks they put in. Not swirls or chips, but big chunks of super creamy chocolate. Normally, chocolate in ice cream freezes and melts long after the ice cream melts in your mouth and so you can't enjoy the two together. Through some kind of dark magic, Graeter's developed a chocolate that melts right along with the ice cream. It is absolutely wonderful, but it will spoil you from eating any other chocolate chunk-containing ice cream ever again. The bad news: Graeter's is only available in Ohio and a few neighboring states, but they will ship to anywhere in the US!