Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Biographies

I love them. I love reading books about WWII, Mt. Everest, the Holocaust, and so much more. Real life is almost always better than fiction. I mean when crazy things happen to you, (strange baby in your bedroom???) you just can't make that stuff up. I have been surprised to find out through the years attending different book groups that a lot of people avoid Biographies. Here are two great ones I wanted to share.

The Bob Woodruff story is amazing. He was the news anchor embedded in Iraq when a bomb hit the tank he was in. I love that they wrote the book together. They switch back and forth during the book, and each give their own unique perspective. Their life was fascinating to me. And the way they supported each other during a massive crisis was really inspiring.

Now I am a big Bush fan, but especially a Laura Bush fan. I have always been fascinated how the two of them ended up together. I think they are the real deal and I wanted to hear her side. I loved reading her story. Her book was better than his, although I enjoyed it too.

6 comments:

Stacey said...

I prefer biographies and non-fiction too!

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I added it to my Goodreads. Sounds like we have similar interests. I will have to check out your other books for ideas.

Katie said...

Ditto on the bios!
thanks for this post!

Jen said...

Good to know.... I am not a huge bio fan . .. reason . . . I want something to take me away from real life. I am married to ben, have a crazy fruit basket for a family and feel like I could write my own biography. I like to go some where that no one can get to in real life. I think if I tried I would enjoy bio. I really want to read the book about the wife and husband that had the wrong eggs implanted in her (the dr confused the last names) and she carried the baby, delivered the baby, handed over the baby and forgave all medical personel involved.

Amanda said...

I have loved biographies for years! Glad to know so many others love them as well. I have read the Laura Bush book, and loved it. I will definitely put the other on my list.

Angie Miller said...

I love biographies - and my fav films are bio-pics. My fav biography is "Return from tomorrow" by George Ritchie. This book changed my perspective on living, even though its a story about how he died and lived again. I think you'd like it ...