Thursday, March 17, 2011

What's Baking?

You see these cookies? This is art. love. brilliance. These are gluten free snickerdoodles. Oh, I can't even say enough about them. They are divine. I can't help it, I have to tell you how brilliant I am at gluten free baking. It's weird too because baking was never really my thing. I am all about the savory. But for some reason I am really good at making delectable gluten free treats. For the most part I come up with my own recipes, like these cookies. Ah, and it just makes me so happy. You should see Spencer's face when he comes home to a new batch of treats. Really, you should see it. It would make your day.

We decided to try going off the gluten free/dairy free diet in December. After doing the diet for two years we were all ready for a break, and I was starting to wonder, does it really work? It was a great month because there were so many yummy treats and parties he could partake in. By January it was very clear that we needed to go back on the diet. But, I kept putting it off hoping maybe things would still turn around. I remember one day in January and I looked at my 4th grader basically in a ball crying on the floor. I realized he had been a crying puddle on the floor for most of the last few weeks. Everything was so upsetting to him. Anything we asked him to do resulted in tears and yelling. Everything, anything, all the time. That was a huge moment for me. I went back on the diet the next day, and within even 24 hours he started doing better. I didn't want to put him back on the diet because it felt mean. But I realized not putting him back on the diet was more mean. He needs it. Spencer was a little reluctant, but the only thing he asked was if he could take a break every December. I thought that was pretty thoughtful.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

First of all, that photo is gorgeous. Those cookies look delicious! I'm glad you figured out that he does so much better on the diet, even though it is a pain to maintain it. Good luck! Also, I love how you write...you write the same way you talk, and it's brilliant. :)

Lewis Family said...

I'm impressed with your flexibility and dedication Molly. Changing the diet for your family is a HUGE thing. I'm so happy that you've figured out what helps Spencer and that you're embracing it, no matter how difficult it is for you.

Kathy said...

I got to hear the story in person.....but you didn't tell me about all the good gluten free treats you're inventing! I think a recipe book of these recipes might be in your future! I bet it would be a best seller!