Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Who is Harry Potter?

In May Jeremy told Spencer that if he reads the first Harry Potter book he would buy him the lego Harry Potter video game. Although he was drooling over the video game every time we went to the store, Spencer refused to open the book. We just let it go, and then this weekend he picked up the book and read the whole thing in two days.

With Spencer's autism he has a hard time with reading comprehension. He is an excellent reader and his spelling abilities are off the charts. But chapter books are just words strung together for him because he has a hard time visualizing them without pictures. We are trying to help him with this. We have been trying different ideas, and he usually needs strong motivation.

After he finished the book, I asked him about Hogwarts. Spencer immediately looked at me funny and said, "Hogwarts? What's that?" Hmmmm. Then I asked him what he thought about all of the magic in the book. "Magic. What magic?" Oh boy. So he basically missed the whole book. Jeremy and I have asked him on separate occasions what the book was about. His description seemed a little too rehearsed. Then we realized he had memorized the summary from the back of the book. Brilliant. Do you think that ingenuity deserves a video game???

5 comments:

Katie said...

I love this post.

I don't know if I should, but I totally do.

I'm not great at reading comprehension, so I totally relate to this post.

Lisa said...

Awesome! That's pure genious if you ask me!

Sally said...

As a school teacher I shouldn't like this, but I love it. You've got one smart kid.

momi said...

I am so glad that you are Spencer's parents. What would he do without your nurturing and care?

Jennifer said...

I'm surprised there wasn't anything about Hogwarts on the back cover! Funny guy. Maybe you could rent the video game as a partial reward :)