Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I loved Bear before you did

I'm sorry, but it's true. You see I have this thing about reading books about climbing Mt. Everest. I love them, can't get enough of them. So years ago I happened upon this book about this kid Bear Grylls who climbed Everest when he was 23. Fabulous, loved the book. Minus the rough language, it is one of my favorites. I have read it several times. Then a couple of years ago I discover he has a show on TV, Man vs. Wild. It is this crazy show about surviving in ridiculous places nobody will ever go, but there is the guy that I fell in love with through this Everest book. And, he is adorable. Right? Am I right? And now all these people are in love with him, and I just want to say, I loved him first, before he was famous. And that means something, right? Now they are selling his book at Costco with a new picture, and i just want to say I prefer the old one. And yes, my love affair waned a little when he showed us how to survive by drinking his own pee, but really, that could come in handy, right? And he lives on a converted barge with his two boys on the Thames river, and his wife is obviously a saint. So, you can all love him too, but remember who was there first. Got that?

6 comments:

BrianJ said...

I didn't know you loved Everest books! It's not about Everest, but have you read Touching the Void? Truly fantastic book (and much better than the documentary on PBS).

Emily S. said...

Yes we are big fans of man vs. wild. Is it still on? I haven't seen it for a while. It started to turn me off a little when he was biting the heads off of live frogs. Yuck.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

It definitely has to count for something. i read "into thin air" and found it fascinating. didn't know you had this obsession. (:

Jeremy said...

okay Baby, I found a great deal on a barge... let's go!

Lewis Family said...

Molly... you can have him. After he ate something he found in bear poo... the fantasy was over for me!

Love ya, thanks for making me smile.

Jenn S. said...

My sister and brother in law almost named their son's middle name Bear (after Your Bear!) :)

I lost the love when I saw the episode where he drank his own pee. I personally think death may be a better choice over a urine cocktail.

Didn't he just have another son and name him Huckleberry?!