Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's Time

When I started my blog about a year ago I wasn't sure what direction it would take. I knew for sure that I was not going to talk about some things that are just too close to my heart. I have changed my mind. I have wanted to talk about this on my blog for some time, but wasn't sure how to. For most of you, this will not be a surprise. But, I know there are friends, and maybe even some family that this will be new information. April is the month we celebrate Spencer's birthday. April is Autism Awareness Month.

About five years ago Spencer was diagnosed with PDDNOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified). We really didn't know what that meant at the time. Since then we have learned that PDDNOS is on the autism spectrum. About two years ago he was officially diagnosed with Autism.

About five years ago my heart started breaking. So many pieces have broken off I don't think it will ever be back together again. My sweet boy is trapped behind this wall of autism. We are tyring to chip away at this wall to help him emerge. Every day is a challenge. Every day we fight the battle. Some days we see glimpses of Spencer come out from behind the wall. Those moments are so wonderful!

Thank you to everyone who has supported our family. Thank you for loving Spencer!

7 comments:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Thank you for sharing Molly. I am so sorry for your heartache. I hope the sharing helps to heal some of that and helps others in similar situations.

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing as well.

Yes, I do believe your heart will be healed someday, as well as your sweet Spencer.

Karen said...

I love Spencer so much!! I don't know everything that you have been going through but I do love you and your family so much and never want you to have heartache. I can't wait to come see you guys soon and support Spencer in his baptism day. I'm so excited!

WEmily said...

I also appreciate your sharing. I'm deeply sorry for your heartache and can't imagine what you endure everyday. Our prayers will go out to you and your family!

Lewis Family said...

Molly... I had no idea, ... But have enjoyed many fun moments with Spencer in his younger years that are so cherished. Every April when my boys have their birthday I think of Spencer and what good times we all had together.

Spencer is beautiful and wonderful in every way.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Jeremy and Spencer while you work through the many challenges ahead. HUGS to you and your sweet family.

Kathy said...

Thank you so much for this blog! I hear courage, hurt, fear, hope and lots of love in these words! I hope you will blog more about your feelings and challenges with Spencer.

I haven't told you recently how much I love and admire you! You really are a very special person...and so is Spencer. He's lucky to have you for his Mom.

It's so hard to remember, but this life is just such a small speck of eternity, and great joy is ahead! Spencer will thank you and honor you as a queen among mothers! That day WILL come!

Angie Miller said...

Queen Molly. Prince Spencer.

I can hear celestial music now.

If I can ever help, please let me know.