Saturday, February 26, 2011

Temple Grandin

Jeremy and I read this book about a year ago, but we finally got up the courage to watch the movie last night. It took me about 6 months to get the courage to add it to our netflix queue, and then 3 weeks sitting on our table before we finally watched it. You see it takes courage because watching and reading stories about autistic people can be really hard. Sometimes it is just too hard.

The book was so fantastic I knew we had to give the movie a try. Especially because it has been winning so many awards. In her book Temple so clearly explains what is going on her mind and how she processes information. She has helped unlock some of the mystery behind autism, not to mention her contributions to agriculture.

Anyway, the movie was good. It was an emotional roller coaster, and after it was over Jeremy and I just looked at each other and said, "We made it through the movie." Can I just say how painful it is to see how people treat people who are different? We all do it. Ugh. Through the years you learn to not think about it too much. I can't worry every second about Spencer getting teased at school. It happens. It will continue to happen. So, most days I just think about the good moments he is having at school. And thankfully, there are plenty of those too.

Of course for me the best parts of the movie were the angels that came into Temple's life right when she needed them. The roommate, the professor, the Aunt. We all pray for people to help our children when we can't be there. You celebrate small victories when you have a child with autism. You celebrate things most parents take for granted. What was so inspiring about this movie was that she had big victories too. Not only going to college, but graduating, and then going on to have a career. Which is why my motto has always been, don't underestimate my kid. Don't do it. He will show you every time. Every time.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I have tears in my eyes!! I love spencer to death!!

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Your post put a lump in my throat. I don't know how I will get through the book. I will add it to my "to read" list. I hope lots of angels come into his life. You are definitely the most important angel he will ever have.

Angie Miller said...

This movie was amazing. As soon as I finished watching it, I started it again to watch the commentary by the director and Temple herself. It was extraordinary to hear firsthand her voice. Temple is an angel for so many, helping them to understand in a way no one else could describe. You are a brave lady!